Sustainable and beautiful -
Products to help save the environment
The pollution of our oceans all over the world with vast quantities of plastic waste and microplastics has opened our eyes and motivated us to achieve sustainable positive effects for people and the environment by developing a standalone line of textiles which are entirely free from harmful substances and to make an active contribution to working towards a future solution to this serious issue.
According to the motto: “If you don’t put any toxic substances into a product, the product never releases any toxic substances!”, all the textiles with the OceanSafe™ quality label are completely biodegradable and, at the end of the life cycle, become nutrients for future generations.
The key difference between this principle and that of recycling is that, with Ocean Safe products, the biological cycle of the textile and its components is defined early on at the product development stage and is the focal point.
OceanSafe™ is intended to become the quality seal in the sustainable textile industry. It at least meets the standards of the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Gold certificate and, with regard to the material health factor, even the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Platinum certificate. In some areas, it even meets the strict parameters of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
The OceanSafe range
The range includes three material groups:
- OS natural fibres, Cleopatra cotton, biodegradable
- OS petrochemicals 1 and 2, polyester replacement, biodegradable
- OS acid-based polymer, flame-retardant, biodegradable
- OS manufacturing accessories — curtain sliders, buttons, hooks, tapes, fastenings — biodegradable
The following collections are already on the market:
- The first and only bedding and towels to have achieved the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Gold certificate.
- The only curtain collection in the world to have achieved fastness to light 6, as well as being dimensionally stable, comparable in terms of quality with polyester products, biodegradable and certified with Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Gold.
- The world’s first synthetic, flame-retardant textile fibres which are biodegradable and have been developed by OceanSafe.
Carefully thought-out – from the start to the finish
Ocean Safe textile products are manufactured without any harmful substances at all under the strictest environmental criteria throughout the entire life cycle.
All of the raw materials and materials which are processed are uncontaminated and free from pesticides and other harmful substances. This also applies in the same way for accessory parts, such as buttons (on bedding) or slide rails (for curtains and drapes) and for packaging materials and brochures.
Ocean Safe textile products are manufactured in accordance with the holistic corporate social responsibility rules, which take into consideration:
- Material health and recyclability
- Minimised water consumption and the use of alternative energy sources
- Social justice for all workers involved in the process
A true cycle
Textiles are amongst the most important consumer goods all over the world and, as a result of the intensive use of these goods (cleaning, washing) and the short life cycle associated with them, are one of the major culprits for releasing microplastics into the environment. If you consider the entire product cycle from the very start with the goal of stopping any further waste products in the traditional sense from being produced, it is necessary for products to be able to be reintroduced into the biological cycle. This is the idea of the Cradle to Cradle® principle upon which the Ocean Safe products are based.
Therefore, all Ocean Safe products can be introduced into the biological cycle in full and are 100 per cent biodegradable, including the accessories, from the yarn to the buttons. The textiles are processed to create finished products in certified sewing studios and are also delivered in packaging which is 100% biodegradable.
After the life cycle, the product can be given back and is then transformed into nutrients and biogas using industrial composting methods. These nutrients form the basis for all new raw materials.
These select raw materials are then used to create a new Ocean Safe product again.